A Personal Note

A Personal Note

Hi friends,

You may have noticed my absence for the past several days... I had a rough weekend running my first half-marathon, but I did it. I wish I could say it with more enthusiasm, especially considering that I dedicated 4 months of my life to running and training constantly, but I was pretty let down. I sprained my ankle only a few miles in and as much as I wanted to keep running, my body told me "no." I ran nearly 10 miles before my body decided that I couldn't continue at more than a slow shuffle. While I fought back sickness and pain, I pressed on. And I eventually made it across that finish line.

Hobbling those last few miles, I got to thinking... my life often feels like running a marathon. Working so hard towards something, not always knowing where I am or where I'm going, but pressing forward and trusting that I'm going to get there eventually. Lately I have found myself discouraged and fearful not knowing what's next or where I'm going on this journey. My sis-in-law challenged and encouraged me in her blog through the words of Steven Pressfield ::

"The more scared we are of a work or calling, the more sure we can be that we have to do it."
---
"Resistance is directly proportional to love. If you're feeling massive Resistance, the good news is, it means there's tremendous love there too. If you didn't love the project that is terrifying you, you wouldn't feel anything. The opposite of love is not hate; it's indifference.
---
"Never forget: This very moment, we can change our lives. There never was a moment, and never will be, when we are without the power to alter our [course] .
This second, we can turn the tables on Resistance.
This second, we can sit down and do our work."

As I continue my creative pursuits and goals, I will choose to not fear the resistance, but to keep pressing on and trust that I'm headed in the right direction. Onward and upward!

{photo via we heart it}

9 comments:

Blair McLeod said...

amen my friend. well said.

Joy Williams said...

Love you, Sis. Glad you liked Steven Pressfield's words. You ARE headed in a great direction! Onward and upward, indeed. :)

Rhiannon Bosse said...

I am going to use this on my blog if you don't mind? It's so perfect for where I am in my life too. Hang in there, you are fabulous :) xx

Anonymous said...

this was a very encouraging post for me as well -- so sorry to hear about your sprained ankle, but glad to hear that it was the seed for reflection!

kelly ann said...

i'm so sorry about your ankle. :( but the fact that you kept going and didn't give up - is something to be REALLY proud of. :) kudos to you, dear!

"lately I have found myself discouraged and fearful not knowing what's next or where I'm going on this journey" -- oh my, i SO understand, i am feeling the same exact way right now, and it's really overwhelming. i'm trying to stay focused and have faith and not get too stressed, but know that god has something up his sleeve that is so much better than what i have planned. what's so amazing is joy's post w/ those quotes came up on my blogger dashboard recently and it was total encouragement for me, such words of wisdom and light.

Katie said...

So sorry you had a less than fun experience during the 1/2. But you should still feel so incredibly proud of yourself. you didn't quit. You kept going. You were strong, and that takes courage.

I have found that moments of trial, when things are truly difficult, are when we grow the most, and learn the most. They are such blessings in our lives, even if it doesn't seem that way at the onset. Ebrace those moments!

Elise / Pennyweight said...

thank you all sooo much for your sweet words and encouragement! it really means so much to me.

Zelda was a writer said...

I love what you say, and I would like to express myself in Italian, because surely I would be more clear and articulate.

this is a very difficult period, which often doesn't allow us to have dreams and hopes.
I am more convinced than ever that this situation require the love in what you do and tenacity, perseverance, joy. just through small and simple things: a simple blog colorful, walking in a field, the hand of our friends, a rich breakfast with many happy calories...

the real strength is found in the love that we give to ourselves and to our efforts, whatever the result.

I'd like to meet you one day!
and sorry for this terrible English!

kisses
camilla

Amanda said...

Thanks, Elise. I know you wrote this like 2 weeks ago, but it's what I needed to hear today.